Monday, October 26, 2009

Who sells Who?

“Is this about advertising and endorsements??”
“Might be!” I replied.
I continued, “I had a dream. I was in an extempore among executives in a business school…and I struck a concept to be discussed...”.
“Baap re…bata kya dekha”, he mocked.

I bounced back some 5 hours back in the dream sequence.

“Hello Ladies and Gentlemen…my concept is coined ‘Who sells who?’ ”.
Suddenly, there was a Huss-fuss in the hall.
“What is it about Mrs.Bhatia? Can you specify the category please?”
“Sorry Sir I didn’t decide the category for the concept, it is just an observation and some physics…I tried applying a Newton’s first law between marketing and HR”. how???
“Sounds innovative please go ahead”
“My speculation is the value which an individual adds to the service is directly proportional to the value, he adds to himself…Say for instance, a proficient sales man Rocket Singh at an Auto show impresses a group of individuals by promoting his small scale 2-wheeler and at the end he is offered to join a 4-wheeler multinational. In this case, what will you say?
Did Rocket Singh sell a scooter or did the scooter sell Rocket Singh?
It is vice versa, his proficiency sold scooters and his scooters were the justification of his proficiency which sells him to a larger net. Someone’s marketing boost is other’s HR advent.
Another instance being Phuket Singh who delivers a service to his client and he presents the work as a justification to his proficiency to a third party.
There is a thin line between both the instances. Both provide service, one works at Marketing level and other one at Operations.
Visibility for Rocket is more because of obvious reasons being profile and level.
Rocket Singh does not need to justify his work to a third party and he can even sell a bad service to the customer.
On the other hand, Phuket Singh has to justify his contribution and service and he is not in the position to deliver a bad service…”'

It was no sooner that the long discussion struck between me and my husband. He is a MBA and ever ready to discuss on esp. topics like these.
“See, I am not a MBA, neither do I have a management hands-on, reading a few books and daily observations might have shaped my dream. I am not attempting a thesis, it is just a view dear”, I said.
“yeah...yeah...yeah...it is good you thought…”

It would have gone long but suddenly, there was a knock at my door…my maid was there to provide her services.
I was upfront thinking about retaining my resource and shunning any chance of third party grabbing my proficient and optimized paid maid :))

2 comments:

  1. phewwwwwww!!!!

    The only thing that i can say is... I am happy that i dont get these kinds of dreams...

    Yaar.. kam se kam sote wakt to chain hona chahiye!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now who is the real MBA? if you can do all that thinking in your dream, imagine what your are capable of when awake ;)

    BTW, a very refreshing post. Typical blogger stuff. Short, Crisp and out of the box.

    ReplyDelete

Read the whole story..??
I shall be pleased to know..what you say about it!